Tuesday, May 20, 2008

LISTS!

When I was young my father would tape papers (even paperplates?) to the back of the front door with things to do (there is probably one taped to the door right now).  I would laugh at him because I couldn't understand why he couldn't remember the simplest things...take out the trash, pick Tavia up from band practice, mail electric bill, Crystal's play 7pm.  

Four children later, I rely on lists more than ever.  I'm convinced that I have lost more brain cells with each pregnancy and delivery, so what was my dad's excuse?  Did he have sympathy forgetfulness?  I recently found out that there is a diagnosis for my absent-mindedness, its called momnesia.  But I haven't rationalized that I have that "disease" just yet, or maybe I just forget that I have it like I seem to forget other things.

Recently I made a list of the things I needed at the store.  I was pleased that I had written the list before I left the house because I was able to truly think and visualize what I needed.  Usually I sit in the store parking lot and rack my brain over what I need to get.  I loaded Lydia into the car, started the engine, backed out of the drive way and headed to the store, only to get half way there and realizing that I had conveniently left the list on the bar in the kitchen.

I have several lists going at the moment.  I am heading to Florida tomorrow for my brother Daniel's high school graduation, so I have a list of all the things I need to pack.  I'm going by myself for the first time, so I have several lists of things I need to do before I leave and lists for Glen while I'm gone.  Lists of food to buy, a meal schedule and lists of things that need to be done.    What about you, do you make lists and if so; do they seem to help?  At the moment all they seem to be doing is overwhelming me, that's why I'm sitting here writing instead of marking off the things I need to accomplish on my lists.

"You will achieve grand dream, a day at a time, so set goals for each day / not long and difficult projects, but chores that will take you, step by step, toward your rainbow.  Write them down, if you must, but limit your LIST so that you won't have to drag today's undone matters into tomorrow.  Remember that you cannot build your pyramid in twenty-four hours.  Be patient.  Never allow your day to become so cluttered that you neglect your most important goal / to do the best you can, enjoy this day, and rest satisfied with what you have accomplished."  - Og Mandino  

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I'm a total list queen! Anytime I don't have use brain cells to remember something I do so by creating lists. I remember one time at work it was so crazy and I had so much stuff going on with lists and post-it notes everyone....I actually had "organize to-do list" as one of my to-do items on my lists!

gideonmommasita said...

checked off list today:
mailed packages (was ready 3wks ago
bank deposit (from Feb)
changed doctor/made appt

Most of my lists are mental...which explains why I don't get much checked off