Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Don't know what I want to be when my kids grow up?

Mommy Camp

Jaron and Glen are at Kids Camp this week, so the rest of the kiddos are calling this week at home "Mommy Camp".  Knowing that they expected fun, I enlisted one of the Peachey kids (Seth to be exact) to be a camp counselor.  Yesterday we went to Peoria in search of a birthday present for Jaron, a few errands and a trip to Chuck E. Cheese.  Seth was amazing with the kids and such a great help to me.  It went splendidly.  We had a fantastic time. 

Today we went to the Peachey's house where Seth had set up a mini kiddie camp for the boys that consisted of a slip & slide and water balloon fight.  Evan and Ethan were thrilled when they jumped out of the van and saw the yard set up for fun.  Our friend Gail gave them a picnic lunch under a shaded tree.  Lydia stayed and enjoyed the fun as well while I ran a few errands.

When I got back the kids were in the pool, so I sat and put my feet in.  Gail and I chit-chatted while everyone was swimming and during our conversation she asked me where I saw myself in a couple years.  I have to admit the question hit hard.  Last semester I went to a guidance counselor at the local college to get information on Sonography (Ultrasound), but disappointed about the hardship of getting into the program I back down from the idea.  

The boys want me to work in their school cafeteria when Lydia gets into school, but at home that is my least liked job (cleaning the kitchen).  Glen wants me to be more involved in ministry and just do whatever (which would end up being 40 hours a week just scrapbooking to catch up).  My own father has an opinion as well, he believes I'd be bored at home and should do something.  I just don't have a clue.  

I thought about being a breastfeeding consultant, but there isn't a high demand for one in these parts.  I also thought about being a Duola, but I would need to live in Chicago to get anyone to pay me to do that.  So I'm left with not knowing what I want to be when my kids grow up.  I know I want to be home when they are home.  I know I don't want to be tied down to something that might prohibit my schedule from doing ministry.  My major was Art with a concentration in photography (a hobby major - a friend recently told me) 15 years ago.  Now everything is digital...yikes I just don't know.

I guess I'll just take it one day at a time and see where the Lord leads me.  Tomorrow we're headed out to lunch with friends and then to the Children's Museum.  I'm enjoying "Mommy Camp" and I think I'll just keep doing that for as long as I can.  

By the way, I have to mention again how terrific Seth Peachey is...He has taken the time to make "Mommy Camp" a lot of fun and his enthusiasm is contagious.  Thanks for all your help Seth!!

3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Amen sister friend.

Gloria said...

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be too - one day I'm fine being a research nurse, the next day I am going to be an EMR consultant, the next day I am going to be a professional currency trader for an investment fund, and yet the next day I am going to be a homemaker devoted to volunteer work! Only time will tell what path we all wind up taking.

Mel said...

Well, I will be too dang old to do anything when my kids are grown. It is too dang depressing to even think about. My boobs will be sagging even further down to my knees so maybe I will invent a skateboard for them. Move back here and we can go to doula school together. We would be a great team. That is, if I can even remember my name at that age.....