Friday, August 8, 2008

"You're a good man, Charlie Brown"


Did you ever orchestrate home theater performances with your siblings when you were young.  I remember we would make my parents come out to the backyard for our circus acts on the swing set.  Crystal and I would lip sync into hairbrushes and she would choreograph the dance moves.  I never understood why my parents didn't seem as excited as us to watch our hard work pay off.  I mean we would spend all day practicing (now I realize that was my parents favorite part of it all - it kept us very busy).  Well today I got my own private performance of "You're a good man, Charlie Brown) - special effects and all.  The boys made Snoopy's Dog house, Snoopy's Ears (out of one of Lydia's headbands) and Charlie Brown's shirt.  Just in case your wondering the cast included: Jaron as Schroeder,  Ethan as Snoopy and Evan as Charlie Brown.  They were very excited once they persuaded me up into the Attic (their bedroom) to see their rendition, and reminded me that I needed to clap and laugh between acts (there were several).  They also announced at the beginning of the show that I should silence cellphones and dismiss myself if any young children were crying.  I was a terrible theater patron though, because I answered my phone during the performance.   I apologized and I think they added a number to make up for it.  Anyway at the end I gave a standing ovation, but didn't yell encore, instead I did the next best thing, I told them they had to do the show for Daddy when he got home from work.  Why let me be the only one to enjoy it, right?

4 comments:

Gloria said...

Hilarious - I'm sure that Glen was so grateful! It won't be long until the remake but this time with Lydia playing Lucy (isn't that one of the characters???)

Mel said...

So you were the school teacher because in your head you were going,"Wah, wahwahwah, wah, wah, wahwahwah....."
Yeah, I know the truth!
Me

Gigi said...

My kids haven't tried that yet, however, they are ALWAYS singing. Sometimes, they are all singing different songs at the same time. They don't even realize they are doing it (in the car, in the family room, at target, etc.) so I have to remind them to sing a song together (except not at Target).

Gigi said...

I spoke too soon. Check out my blog.