Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What a haircut will do...

When I was a little girl I had very long hair.  It hit around the waist and was so pretty.  Well at least in my mind it was.  My mother would tell me to brush it 100 times on each side every night.  One night too many I must have disobeyed her because she took me to the barbershop the next day and got me the worst butch boy haircut you have ever seen.  I remember crying my eyes out.  I absolutely missed my long hair and absolutely hated my new hairdo.  To this day I can't figure out why my mother took me to a barbershop and not a hair salon.  I don't know if it was out of complete frustration or because I was her first girl and she didn't know any better.  All I know is it set me on a path of disappointment every time I got my hair cut.  I don't know how many tears I've shed over the years, but I must have cried a river.  

You would think that I needed extensive therapy, but I eventually got over it and now I really enjoy getting my hair cut.  Maybe its because I have four children and I can go there and escape or maybe its because I always leave feeling like my hair belongs on some beautiful model, but none the less I never leave without glee.

I enjoy the whole experience.  I enjoy getting my hair washed (I especially appreciated this when I was 9+ months pregnant four times), I love the salon banter and talk.  I like to watch other women come in shaggy and leave beautiful and I really like my hair stylist.  She has great women working with her and she always seems interested in my life.  When you are an at-home mom you really value adult conversation.

SO...whenever I flip through magazines I always see the "before" and "after" pictures of women who have had a mini makeover.  I always laugh and say that the before picture is so overstated.  I thought it would be fun to take my picture as soon as I woke up this morning and one after my glorious redo.  I hope you laugh as much as I did.  I look like I got into a fight with my pillow and the pillow won.

5 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Hootenanny! How do you get it so silky smooth...you have wavy hair kinda like mine? Can't do it no matter how hard I try. I also went to get my hair cut this week but alas I haven't found a cheap consistent stylist yet so no before and after pictures are necessary.

SenoraSabrosita said...

You know Tavia my first haircut was at a barber shop too! My mother was in so much trouble when she came home. My father was not at all happy to his little girl with no hair. It's surprising how thin and straight my hair was as a little girl. Veronica has the same fine hair. Total different story now as an adult. The hormones in pregnancy really kinked my hair and it's super thick. However this pregnancy has caused my hair to go completely straight! Love the do, you look marvelous darling!

Gloria said...

You are so funny! Love the highlights - looks good on you.

Mel said...

I hear you, sister. One day, every six weeks, I actually feel human. I was going to "doll up" to go to a closing today but it seems like if you even think the thoughts your kids pick up on it and crash your plans!! I ended up looking your before photo with lipstick smeared on one side of one lip. I miss you!!!
love,
mel

Mel said...

p.s....
One of my haircuts was so bad in my fifth grade school picture the teacher said this when handing them out in front of the whole class, "Oh, who is this little boy?" Talk about psychological hair trauma....... Yes, she showed the whole class the picture, too.
M