Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Flying Home

On the way home from Florida I was gazing out the window while my children quietly complimented each other and played nicely together and my husband recited love poems to me (if you believe that, just stop reading because I want you to think that is how our road trips go).  Anyway, I saw thousands of geese flying north.  At first I thought that there was just a large group of them, but as I continued to watch for the next hour there were literally thousands of geese migrating back home.  I commented to Glen, but he was busy watching the road (and reciting love sonnets) that he could only take a peek.  I watched as each group worked to make a V pattern and it amazed me how time and time again they would take turns across the sky.  Since then I've seen them twice,  yesterday on our drive to the Quad Cities and I saw more heading the same way doing the same thing and then again today while we were picking up the boys from school we saw a couple hundred of them.  I kept saying, "It seems too cold for them to be flying back already,"  but they instinctively know where to go and when.  It reminded me of our trip home.  We were in Florida for a season, but it was time to come home.  Glen and I took turns at the wheel leading the way home when the other was tired.  When we're in Florida we have family and friends to help, but when we leave we depend on each other, helping one another and even trying to understand each other.  It doesn't always look as nicely choreographed as the geese, but we make it work. 

1 comment:

gideonmommasita said...

Nicely said. Almost waxing poeticly :)