Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Parade

The only parade I remember growing up as a kid was when I was in highschool and I marched with my piccolo over the Main Street Bridge for the opening of the Jacksonville Landing.  I guess being in a large metropolitan city there aren't many parades.  Glen on the other hand can recall several parades he dressed up as a clown in and marched to promote his father's hardware business.  I am almost positive it was all of his on initiative.  
Our small town (33,000 strong) has probably five parades a year.  We've gone to most of them (been in a few) and its become a family tradition.  The kids love it because a majority of the people in the parade throw candy and the kids get a kick out of picking it all up.  They almost always give out little American flags and the kids like to wave them around.  We almost always see someone we know and its fun to hoot and holler for them.  I know when our kids get older that like their dad, they will have lots of memories of our small town parades.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

How cool is that...and what a great tradition to be able to go year after year with your family lining the streets with your folding chair.

Lydia looks so cute!

gideonmommasita said...

After going to the Sebastian, Fl parade we tried a Jax one and it stunk...and no candy. Small town parades are the best!