Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's that time of year...


Every season since we moved here I have had to rotate my family's wardrobe.  This week has been unseasonably cool and so I have been digging into the plastic containers to find long-sleeved shirts. This is a sure sign that tank tops, sun dresses, shorts and bathing suits are on their way to the bottom of some dark container where they won't be seen for at least nine months.  

Even though this December we will be living here for seven years, I still find the concept of rotating clothes extremely foreign.  Growing up in sunny Florida, everyone owned a couple pairs of jeans and a couple sweatshirts and we kept them in our bottom chest of drawers where they might be worn a couple times a year.  It has become at least a two week ritual to expel one season's clothes as they go through the wash and to slowly add the next.  Of course, after I have switched everything over we will have an "Indian Summer" couple of days or a cold front pass through.  This means that there will be a couple pair of shorts tempting my children in mid-October to be worn. 

The other sad thing about living up in an area of the country where there is truly four seasons is the fact that I can't wear flip-flops all year round.  My feet love to be free.  They prefer to breath in comparison to being smothered by thick socks and unpleasant feet restraints (shoes).  I hold out as long as I can, but when my toes start to get hypo-thermia, I cave into wearing real shoes.  I have a friend that also finds this a dilemma and together we pay homage to our fond flip-flops about the same time each year.

So there is a feeling in the air....the ritual is nearing.  I always look forward to putting the winter away and pulling out the spring, but it is sorta sad putting the summer away for the fall. So I pray...Indian Summer days, please stay!!! 

 

4 comments:

SenoraSabrosita said...

I know the feeling Tavia. After experiencing our very first 4 seasons here in Georgia. There are some winter consignment sales going on the next 2 weekends and I have made a list of the things that I failed to get last year in preparing for fall/winter; like boots and long johns. I had no concept of how cold it really got here in the Atlanta area but I'll be prepared this year! I'm just glad that it was warm weather during my pregnancy. I don't think I could have stuffed my feet into anything but flip flops.

gideonmommasita said...

Since we have limited drawer space, I too do the summer/cool weather rotation. Stewart would wear shorts all year if I let him so I guess it isn't as cold as I think, 10 years in Central Florida and it feels like the artic. Oh to have cool weather already. An Indian Summer sounds so wonderful.

Gigi said...

I totally do not look forward to the seasonal changes in the kids wardrobe. Till this day, I am horrible with it. I bring down from the attic their warmer clothes but then their summer clothes sit there forever. It's not a matter of just putting them away, but sorting them to what may or may not fit them next year, what is for goodwill, or what clothes I'm giving away to friends. Oh, it's a nightmare of a job. I totally sympathize with you. Those Indian summers are great, but you never know how long you'll need summer clothes out. Last February we had a few days at 80 degrees. I tell you, it's crazy.

Gloria said...

I live for flipflops.