Friday, April 18, 2008

Our house was a rockin' last night...

states_illinois_cy.gif

"The wind began to switch - the house to pitch, and suddenly the hinges started to unhitch."  Oh, wrong story.


Early this morning around, 4:37 am to be exact, I woke up to our dresser, bed and ENTIRE HOUSE shaking.  I thought briefly in my half asleep stupor that I was dreaming and then I thought we might be having a tornado, so I laid real still, but didn't hear the sirens or any wind, then all of a sudden I heard..."Are you awake?"  I said yes, and Glen said, "Do you feel that?" and I said "Yes!"  He said "I think its an earthquake."


A little side note here to say that Glen has been through a couple earthquakes when he lived in California.  He even went through the "big one" that brought down the freeways.  Needless to say I believed his instinct.


I also feel the need to tell those of you who have never been to our house that it consists of four levels.  The boys share the attic that we converted into their room so Glen went up and got them so we could all be together.  I grabbed Lydia and we all went down to the ground level of the house.  Since I was in a nightgown, I decided it might be a good thing to put on some pants in case we ended up outside.  I didn't know what to expect, but as I went down the basement stairs I was praying that there wouldn't be anymore shaking while I was away from my family.


We all cuddled in the living room.  The shaking had stopped by then, so we just sat in there for a bit.  Glen and I investigated a little to make sure it wasn't a tornado or something else bizarre.  I thought for a brief second that maybe it was the rapture, but then talked myself out of that one.  So we sat in the dark for a few minutes when Lydia popped up and turned on the television.  Just as she did the news anchors verified Glen's suspicions and said that we had a 5.2 earthquake.


I have heard that there was an aftershock and in the car today it did seem like the ground was shaking again, but I wasn't quite sure.  If you look at the map above we are located Northwest of Springfield.  They are saying that from Michigan to Atlanta, Georgia you could feel the quake.  So, Jenette, if you are reading this, did you feel the earth move?


All I have to say is that I never thought I would experience an earthquake, but you just never know; do you?  I mean there is regular shaking going on in our house, from the kids running through the house, or just dancing around having fun, to the bedroom rockin (ha)...all very joyful types of shaking.  I have never felt anything like that before, it was eerie. 


Special Reports - Galesburg, IL - The Register-Mail

 

4 comments:

SenoraSabrosita said...

No we didn't feel it at our home. But I'm glad to know that you all are safe. Peggy's grandmother and extended family live in Indianapolis. I asked them if they heard anything from her grandmother, but they hadn't. Peggy and Ethan have been in some really big earthquakes, one when they lived in Washington State and the other more recent one was in Hawaii. Peggy was worried about a Tsunami effect, and Ethan said, "If a Tsunami is coming then we're dead since we're a two minute walk to the beach, just come back to bed". Not much worries Ethan anymore! FYI, when Peggy first felt the earthquake, she thought it was the rapture too!

gideonmommasita said...

Yikes! One night in Palm Bay we all hung out in the bathroom in the middle of the night because of Tornados in the area. What fun.

Gloria said...

Glad you guys are all safe and sound. When people from non-hurricane parts of the country ask me about hurricanes I always tell them that at least you know they are coming and can plan accordingly. You don't get that luxury with earthquakes and tornadoes.

Gloria said...

As an aside.... I love the new section you added on the sidebar regarding funny things that the kids say -