Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's a done deal...

I said as we were 25 miles outside of Jacksonville, Florida late yesterday evening. Glen and I looked at each other and said for the 100th time, "I can't believe we're doing this?" God is good...all the time. I've learned to say that over the years in the worst of circumstances and in the best (with tears streaming done my face in either case).

Neither of us would have imagined spending a month in Jacksonville with family and friends, much less Glen working as a production assistant on a feature Christian Film. But here we were on the brink of this adventure feeling excitement and a little bit of anxiety.

Glen faces the unknown with anticipation and gusto, I; on the other hand try not to face change at all. Even good change is hard for me. I don't know if its the mom in me or the fact that I've not typically been the "glass half full" kinda girl. I knew I was excited about the thought of being home for a month, but the physical part of getting us all ready to go made my brain go in a tizzy.

But the preparation was over and now we were here. We slowly approached mom and dad's house...we turned the headlights off and pulled in to the left of their house. On Wednesday I told Dad that the boys had come up with something for his birthday and we would send it soon. As we stood in the darkness of night, I reached for my cellphone and called my dad. I asked him if the package had arrived yet and he answered no. "Oh, I said. That's strange, I sent it overnight. Let me check on it and I'll call you back." (The kids giggling in the background.) We scurried around the house like a pack of possums (that's for Glen) and rang the doorbell. I could hear my dad say, "who could that be" and thinking "in a million years he wouldn't guess us". The door opened and in a grand rendition of "Happy Birthday" we delivered his birthday package.

God is good all the time. In the bad and in the good. In the big and in the small. The look on their faces was worth the anxiety I had felt. This is what life is all about.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I'm so excited that you have a blog!!! And I'm so excited for this new adventure you are on. When you said you were going to be in town for game night, I thought what great timing - little did I know what awesome things are going on in the Weatherly life. Can't wait to hear (and read) all about it!

Tera Donovan said...

Wow! I teared up reading about your dad's birthday surprise! I'll look forward to seeing you all in the shop and hearing about all your adventures when you get home!! Good luck with everything!

Tera